Building a better bank – every day since 1870.
From the moment we took our very first deposit, right up to today, our story has
been a story of our customers – and of the region. We’ve grown as you’ve grown.
And our success has been built on your success.
Today our bank operates under the same basic charter that was issued on January
20, 1870 to “The German Bank” which officially began operations on April 3, 1870.
Seventeen years later, on February 3, 1887, the Dollar Savings Bank was organized
in Wheeling. The two banks would eventually merge and the combined bank’s leaders
were incredibly active in building a better, stronger region. It was the first of
many acquisitions and mergers that would allow us to grow with the needs of our
Through the years, we’ve been there as the people of this area fought through the
rise and fall of industrial cycles, natural disasters, crop disasters and personal
tragedies. And we’ve been inspired by the resilience and optimism of the people
we serve. The spirit of our customers drove us to be a better bank then – and it
drives us to this day.
Some key dates from our history.
- January 20, 1870 - Original Charter issued as “The German Bank,”
- February 3, 1887 - Dollar Savings Bank was organized.
- March 31, 1903 - The Wheeling Title & Trust Co. and the Dollar
Savings Bank merged to form the Dollar Savings & Trust Co.
- 1914 - The Commercial Bank was acquired by the Bank of the Ohio
- May 22, 1917 - The Peoples Bank and the Citizens National Bank
merged to form the Citizens-Peoples Bank & Trust Co.
- July 11, 1918 - The German Bank changed its name to the Wheeling
Bank & Trust Co.
- August 31, 1918 - The Dollar Savings & Trust Co. acquired the City
Bank of Wheeling.
- January 11, 1923 - The Mutual Savings Bank consolidated with the
Citizens-Peoples National Bank & Trust Co. to form the Citizens Mutual Bank & Trust
- April 9, 1923 -The Wheeling Bank & Trust Co. acquired the Bank
of the Ohio Valley.
- December 30, 1933 - The Wheeling Bank & Trust Co. and the Dollar
Savings & Trust Co. merged to form the Wheeling Dollar Savings & Trust Co. (It became
the largest bank in the state at the time with assets in excess of $19 million.)
- April 29, 1939 - The Wheeling Dollar Savings & Trust Co. acquired
the Citizens Mutual Savings Bank.
- December 14, 1944 - The South Side Bank of Wheeling and the Center
Wheeling Savings Bank merged to form the South Wheeling Bank & Trust Co.
- February 28, 1949 - The Wheeling Dollar Savings & Trust Co. acquired
the National Exchange Bank.
- December 4, 1964 - The Wheeling Dollar Savings & Trust Co. acquired
the South Wheeling Bank & Trust Co.
- 1968 - WesBanco Inc. was incorporated.
- December 31, 1976 - Requirements to establish WesBanco Inc. as
a bank holding company were completed and WesBanco, Inc. was activated.
- November 1979 - Ohio Valley Finance Co. acquired.
- 1982 - Mountaineer Securities Co., a division of Wheeling Dollar
Savings and Trust Co. is formed.
- April 4, 1984 - WesBanco Inc. acquired Citizens National Bank of
- October 1, 1984 - New Martinsville Bank was acquired.
- December 30, 1984 - The First-Tyler Bank and Trust Co. in Sistersville
- December 31, 1985 - Wellsburg National Bank was acquired.
- 1985 - Wheeling Dollar Savings & Trust Co. merged with the Citizens
National Bank of Follansbee and changed the name to Wheeling Dollar Bank. Ohio Valley
Finance Co. merged into Wheeling Dollar Bank.
- April 20, 1987 - Wirt County Bank, Elizabeth, WV and South Hills
Bank, Charleston, WV were acquired.
- October 15, 1987 - Bank of Sissonville, Sissonville, WV was purchased.
- October 16, 1987 - First National Bank of Wheeling, Wheeling, WV
- August 8, 1988 - WesBanco acquired Mountain State Bank, Parkersburg,
- July 1, 1991 - WesBanco Inc. changed the name of all its affiliate
banks to WesBanco operating names.
- December 2, 1991 - Albright National Bank of Kingwood, WV was acquired.
- July 17, 1992 - First National Bank of Barnesville, OH was acquired.
The Bank of Follansbee, Follansbee, WV was purchased and merged into WesBanco Wheeling.
- April 1993 - Albright National Bank of Kingwood changed its name
to WesBanco Kingwood and The First National Bank of Barnesville changed its name
to WesBanco Barnesville.
- February 28, 1994 - First Fidelity Bancorp, Inc., Fairmont, WV
and its affiliates, First National Bank, Fairmont, WV, FirstBank, Shinnston, WV,
Bridgeport Bank, Bridgeport, WV and Central National Bank, Morgantown, WV were acquired.
- June 6, 1994 - First Fidelity's Bank names were changed to the
WesBanco operating names of WesBanco Fairmont, WesBanco Shinnston, WesBanco Bridgeport
and WesBanco Morgantown. WesBanco Shinnston was merged into WesBanco Bridgeport.
- October 21, 1994 - WesBanco Morgantown was merged into WesBanco
- February 17, 1995 - WesBanco Elm Grove was merged into WesBanco
- April 28, 1995 - WesBanco Bridgeport was merged into WesBanco Fairmont.
- August 25, 1995 - WesBanco Sissonville was merged into WesBanco
- November 17, 1995 - WesBanco Elizabeth was merged into WesBanco
- August 20, 1996 - Universal Mortgage Company, Bridgeport, WV was
acquired and its name changed to WesBanco Mortgage Company.
- August 30, 1996 - Bank of Weirton was acquired and merged into
WesBanco Bank Wheeling.
- October 4, 1996 - WesBanco Bank Kingwood was merged into WesBanco
- December 30, 1996 - Vandalia National Corporation and wholly owned
subsidiary, the National Bank of West Virginia was acquired and merged into WesBanco
- June 30, 1997 - WesBanco acquired Shawnee Banks Inc., Dunbar, WV.
WesBanco South Hills renamed WesBanco Charleston. Shawnee Banks, Inc. merged into
- April 1, 1998 - Commercial BancShares, Inc., a multi-bank holding
company headquartered in Parkersburg, WV, and its subsidiaries including Hometown
Finance Company acquired and merged into WesBanco affiliated companies.
- June 18, 1998 - WesBanco acquires the Hunter Insurance Agency.
- April 30, 1999 - WesBanco consummated the merger of The Heritage
Bank of Harrison County ("Heritage"), Clarksburg, West Virginia, with and into WesBanco
affiliate, WesBanco Bank Fairmont, Fairmont, West Virginia.
- January 14, 2000 - WesBanco's four regional banks, Charleston,
Fairmont, Parkersburg and Wheeling, are merged into one - WesBanco Wheeling - to
form a unit bank structure. The name of the bank was then changed to WesBanco Bank,
- March 1, 2002 - WesBanco consummated the merger of Wheeling National
Bank (American Bancorporation) of Wheeling, West Virginia, with and into WesBanco
Bank, Inc., Wheeling, West Virginia.
- August 31 , 2004 - WesBanco consummated the merger of Western Ohio
Financial Corporation of Springfield, OH, with and into WesBanco Bank, Inc., Wheeling,
- January 3, 2005 - WesBanco consummated the merger of Winton Financial
Corporation’s affiliate, The Winton Savings and Loan Co., Cincinnati, OH with and
into WesBanco Bank, Inc., Wheeling, WV.
- November 30, 2007 – WesBanco consummated the merger of Oak Hill
Financial, Inc. and its affiliate, Oak Hill Banks, Jackson, Ohio.
- March 27, 2009 - WesBanco Bank, Inc. completed its purchase of
all five Columbus, Ohio AmTrust Bank banking offices and assumed all of the deposit
liabilities of those five branches.
- November 29, 2012 - WesBanco consummated the merger of Fidelity Bancorp, Inc.
and its affiliate, Fidelity Savings Bank, Pittsburgh PA.
Explore your own financial information in greater detail by using these powerful
tools for forecasting and assessing your financial choices.